Reflections on being language proficient

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Reflections on being language proficient

Post by yang-ew on Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:15 pm

Sor, i hope you don´t mind me sharing your multiply.com blog here.

¨I thought my English was good enough cuz I am from Bontoc(English speaking country) and that I am an English major.well it got me all wrong:
my reflection after the test:being proficient in the language or in any language requires 3 things:1. basic is for u to gain proficiency in the 4 skills(reading, listeing,writing,and speaking)2. ability to combine 2 or 3 skills and then analyze.for instance, u read an article and listen to a lecture of it and then they ask you to summarize the points in what u read and heard by speaking..3.ability to respond quickly about what u are asked about under time pressure.like,u are given 15 seconds to prepare and 45 seconds to state ur answer to question.

hay, it was a learning experience. i can just say, did my best under those circumstances and am glad to have taken it for free as twas sponsored by the phil american educ foundation.¨

by: Soraya Faculo
Principal
Cordillera Regional Science High School, La Trinidad, Benguet
yang-ew
Global Administrator
Global Administrator

View user profile http://Interactive Cordillera, Bibaknets@yahoogroups.com, Igorot

Back to top Go down

Re: Reflections on being language proficient

Post by SVS Headliners on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:20 am

Hi Soraya and all,
Your experience with the language proficiency test is same as mine. It was a tough one but really a learning and a challenging experience. Unlike achievement tests or other kinds of tests, proficiency tests are not dependent on particular class content, course materials, or language software programs. Instead, a proficiency test is intended to measure your command of English language regardless of your background to this language.

It is also a good advantage if we take the language proficiency test because it provides the opportunity for us to test our proficiency level in English. We can find standard grammar and vocabulary that we wouldn´t find in any English language-learning materials.

This is really an interesting topic.
SVS Headliners
Junior Administrator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top